- Export from revit to fbx.
- Import fbx into max scene A and save
- Create a second file in 3ds max - we can call it scene B
- Use the option File-> Xref Objects to bring the 3ds max file scene A into scene b. Bring all objects in - filter out unneeded ones
- While they are selected create either a group or selection set for control later on
- Add all entourage to scene B, change colors or materials as well if needed in MAX.
- If the design of the building changes in revit, follow steps 1 & 2 again only erase the existing geometry before re-importing the model.
I know its not ideal, but better than nothing and sets it up like a linked autocad file. If you are looking for changes made in max to go back to revit you will have to wait. If you recall, this was not possible with autocad files that were linked either.