Friday, March 23, 2007

My last post on Architechtural Desktop

Well, it's official! Architectural Desktop is no more. I've heard a number of rumors in the past year with people saying ADT is going away, it's being replaced with Revit, Autodesk is abandoning one of it's largest installed user base for it's products, etc... I hope your happy. Introducing AutoCAD Architecture 2008. Well, alright, I may have over done it slightly.

ADT is really still here - it's just sporting a new name and a new look. I know many have mixed feelings on the name change - as do I. I was introduced to ADT with the release of 2004. I immediately embraced the step up from vanilla AutoCAD and jumped right in with both feet learning the platform in and out. For those that remember the splash screen from ADT 2004 and 2005, it was a picture (tinted blue) of the Tokyo International Glass Forum Building (picuture included at end of post). In 2005, I had the opportunity to give the building a visit while on vacation in Japan. I have to say it's a wonderful building, but then again, I'm also a big fan of all things Japanese - so I'm a little biased. That being said, ADT has been all I've known the product as. Others who go back further recall it as softdesk (prior to Autodesk buyout). So I suppose one more name change isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, right?

Perhaps. Change is part of our life. Yet for some reason, when it comes to technology, many people don't like change (I'd say 50%-60% - this might change as the years go on, but currently that is my opinion). So for some, this name change is world shattering - life ending. For others, it's just another day at the office. At first, I was more than a little bothered by this name change, however I quickly snapped out of it and realized a couple of things. One is that change is, as I said, part of our world. The other was that I had no ability to change the mind of a multi-billion dollar company and their marketing departments' choice to change a few product names. So I quickly moved on and accepted the fact that ADT was gone and replaced by AutoCAD Architecture or ACA for short. This change affects more than just Autodesk - many other companies will have to adapt to this name change. Blog names will need updating. Websites need updating. Speaking of updating websites, the ADT/ABS Community on AUGI is being updated in anticipation of the new products shipping. I suppose I should get busy editing those web pages!

2 comments:

Steve Bennett said...

Yes, I realize the logo in my side bar will need updating, however, Autodesk has yet to release a certification test for ADT 2007, let alone ACA 2008. When it becomes available, I can assure you I'll be there to wrap my brain stem around it...

Unknown said...

Steve,

I just wanted to say sweet new look...As always, it's great to read your stuff...Keep up the good work!!!